Close this search box.
Close this search box.

Working in Germany

Do I need a work permit? What do I need to consider for my residence permit? Questions upon questions: We have the answers for you! So that you can get off to a good start in the Karlsruhe TechnologyRegion (TRK).

On this page:

Business location TRK

The diverse mix of industries with a high proportion of future-oriented technologies makes the Karlsruhe TechnologyRegion (TRK) a promising business location - regardless of whether you are a group, a medium-sized company or a start-up.

Important information on work permits

Have you decided to work in Germany? We have summarized all the important information about your work permit so that you can start your job search without any problems. We are here to advise you and make your start as smooth as possible.

What do I need to consider with my residence permit?

What do I need for a residence permit in Germany? Do I need a visa? When will I receive a permanent residence permit? To make your journey to us in the Karlsruhe TechnologyRegion as smooth as possible, we have compiled the most important information for you on German residence law.

Skilled Worker Immigration Act

The Skilled Immigration Act (FEG) makes it easier for qualified skilled workers to enter Germany and enter the German labor market. We have summarized all the necessary information for you.

What insurance do I need?

In Germany, the social insurance system is enshrined in law. It provides citizens with financial protection against unemployment, old age and illness. The following five types of insurance are part of the social insurance system and are therefore mandatory for every person living in Germany. We have summarized which insurances you need in Germany:

  • Health insurance: Statutory health insurance covers the costs of visits to the doctor as well as many medicines and therapeutic measures.
  • Long-term care insurance: Statutory long-term care insurance provides basic cover in the event that you are permanently dependent on care due to illness. This usually affects people in old age.
  • Accident insurance: Statutory accident insurance covers the costs of medical treatment and reintegration into working life following an accident at work or occupational illness.
  • Pension insurance: Statutory pension insurance pays employees a pension after they have retired. The amount of the pension depends on your income and the number of years you have worked in Germany.
  • Unemployment insurance: If you become unemployed, you will continue to receive part of your salary through unemployment insurance. The prerequisite for this is that you have worked for at least 1 year in the past 2 years. In addition, the Federal Employment Agency supports anyone looking for work with advice and placement services.

Statutory social insurance is compulsory for employees. Half of the contributions are paid by the employer. The other half is paid by the employees themselves. They do not have to do anything else, as the contribution is automatically deducted from their salary. The social security contribution depends on your income. However, for health and pension insurance, the contribution does not increase above a certain income level (this is also called the contribution assessment ceiling).

Further information on health insurance, accident insurance and social security number

There are two exceptions: Employees pay slightly more than employers for health insurance. Employers, on the other hand, pay the full accident insurance contributions.

Your contributions entitle you to benefits from the various areas of statutory social insurance.

Your employer will register you with social insurance. You will receive a letter from the pension insurance company with your social security number, which you should keep in a safe place as you will need to show the number again and again.


Employees who are posted to Germany by their employers from other EU countries must declare their posting under social security law using form A 1 (so-called EU certificate of posting). This certificate is issued by the foreign social insurance institution. Employees use it to prove that the legislation of the posting country applies and not the German social security legislation.

Taxes and finances: Keeping an overview

Every month, income tax in the form of wage tax is automatically deducted from your gross salary and transferred to the tax office on your behalf. Your employer also transfers the solidarity surcharge to the tax office (if due) and also the church tax - if you are a member of a religious community that levies church tax. In addition, your employer will have already deducted and paid your pension, health, long-term care and unemployment insurance from your salary. How much your employer pays to you and how much your net salary is can be found on your payslip.

Recognition of foreign qualifications

Have you obtained your degree abroad and would like to have it recognized in Germany? Find out more about the requirements and the process.

Further topics
Arrive, settle in, feel at home - TRK offers you a very high quality of life. Find out more about living and leisure, mobility and the German healthcare system.
Skilled Worker Immigration Act
The Skilled Immigration Act (FEG) is a groundbreaking milestone in German immigration policy that opens the doors for qualified international skilled workers to work in Germany.
Do I need a work permit? What do I need to consider for my residence permit? We are here to help you with all your questions about working in Germany.
We are here for you!
Please feel free to contact us.